Leadership Week 2
- July 18, 2019
- / Jose Contreras
- / Post Tags
Good leaders must lead by example. By walking your talk, you become a person others want to follow. When leaders say one thing, but do another, they erode trust -- a critical element of productive leadership. Here are 5 of the many ways to lead by example.
1. Be truthful. Inaccurate representation affects everyone. Show that honesty really IS the best policy.
2. Acknowledge failure. It makes it OK for your team to do the same and defines failure as part of the process of becoming extraordinary.
3. Be persistent. Try, try again. Go over, under or around any hurdles to show that obstacles don’t define your company or team.
4. Create solutions. Don’t dwell on problems; instead be the first to offer solutions and then ask your team for more.
5. Listen. Ask questions. Seek to understand. You’ll receive valuable insights and set a tone that encourages healthy dialogue.
Excerpts of this week's featured behavior were taken from an essay from Carl Golden.